A loved one has just called you with the devastating news that they’ve been arrested. They need cash to get out of jail, but you are broke and panicking. What can you do to help them so they will not have to sit behind bars for days or weeks? The answer to this question is that you can hire a bail bondsman to post a surety bond. Not only will you not have to pay as much money, because you only pay a percentage of the bail amount, but you can also expect the process to go smoothly and for your loved one to be out of jail within hours.
Before you learn how to find a bail bondsman, you need to know what one is and what services they perform. A bail bondsman is a licensed professional who provides bail bonds to people who have been arrested and want to get out of jail but don’t have the money to pay their entire bail amount. The bail bondsman will act as a surety to the court, putting money down on the defendant’s behalf and ensuring they show up for court. Before you begin looking for a bail bondsman, you need to know what to look for so you can choose the best professional for the job.
- Make sure the Minneapolis bail bonds company is licensed. It is against the law in most states for bail bondsmen to work without a bonding license. At the very least, make sure the bondsman has a license.
- Find a bail bondsman agency that is available 24 hours a day. Your loved one wants to get out of jail as fast as possible. If you pick a bail bondsman that is only open a few hours a day, there are going to be delays that become really stressful for your friend or loved one sitting in jail.
- You need to make sure the bail bondsman gives you upfront information on what to expect regarding the fees. Hidden fees should never be a part of the bonding process. You have a right to know what you are going to have to pay before you hire the bail bondsman to get your loved one out of jail.
- Before hiring any business, especially one so important as a bail bondsman, you are going to have to read reviews. You can learn a lot about bail bondsmen by reading their customer reviews and seeing what people are saying. If there are a bunch of bad reviews, do not even consider the bail bonding agency. Reviews will give you plenty of information to go on when choosing an agency.
- We understand you are in a hurry, but make sure to take the time to learn all you can about the bail bondsman before hiring them. Rushing into any contract can lead you to being taken advantage of and can cost you more in the long run. Take a little extra time now and find an agency that will give you the best service and peace of mind.
- You can always ask the police officers or defense attorney for advice on finding a bail bondsman. Officers and defense lawyers work with bail bondsmen often. You can usually get advice or referrals to help you know where to get started if this is a first arrest or the first time needing a bail bondsman.
No matter who you choose to help you get your loved one out of jail, make sure to write down the court dates. If your friend or loved one doesn’t show up for court, big problems will occur. The judge could put out a bench warrant, and the bail bondsman will pursue the co-signer for the full amount of the bail if the defendant is not recovered. If you co-sign, you’re going to be responsible for making sure the defendant shows up for all court dates. Just keep that in mind when hiring a bail bondsman.